A Field Boss is a significantly strong enemy that you can fight in the open fields of Lumios to earn rewards. Every Field Boss has a Quick Time Event (QTE) which adds challenge to the fight. Once you complete a Field/Elite Boss Side Quest, the Regional Quest equivalent will become available.
Field Boss Types:
- Elite Boss
- Unique Boss
Quests that require defeating a Field Boss will have either a purple or orange monster icon in the quest title depending on the boss’ type.
Figure 1: Elite Boss (Left) and Unique Boss (Right) region quests
Figure 2: On-screen notifications upon entering an area near a field boss with an active region quest
Elite Boss: You will encounter these boss-types regularly during progression through the main quest and tackling side quests. You also have the option to challenge these monsters alongside a friend in arena challenges.
Figure 3: Elite Bosses found in the open world - Corrupted Treant (Left) and Stone Zephyr (Right)
Figure 4: Elite Boss in a 2-player Arena Challenge
Elite Boss Region Quest:
The rewards that you can loot from an Elite Boss include Gold, Fortification Stones, and Equipment. Completing an Elite Boss Region Quest will give you a reward box, Experience Points, Skill Experience Points, and Artifact Shards.
Figure 5: Elite Boss Region Quest Details
- Quest Objective and Time Limit (Yellow) – Once the time limit reaches zero, the quest will fail.
- Regional Quest Rewards (Blue) – The possible rewards in the boxes are Equipment, Fortification and Upgrade Stones, and crafting materials.
- XP and Gold Rewards (Green) – The rewards may vary.
Unique Bosses: These enemies require multiple players to defeat. The HP of a Unique Boss will adjust depending on how many players are present in the area. Every region in Lumios has a Unique Boss. In Adventure Dungeons, there are three Unique Bosses which must be defeated to complete the dungeon.
Figure 6: Unique Bosses in the Open World - Bone Dragon (Left) and Bashal (Right)
Unique Boss Rewards:
The rewards that you can loot from killing a Unique Boss are Gold and Soul Crystals. Completing Unique Boss region quests will give you a reward box, Experience Points, Skill Experience Points, and Artifact Shards.
Figure 7: Loot obtained from a Unique Boss
Sealed Reward Boxes can also be obtained after completing a Dungeon. You can open sealed reward boxes with Sealed Chest Keys.
Figure 8: Sealed Chest obtained from a Lair Challenge
Figure 9: Unique Boss Region Quest Details
Unique Boss Regional Quest:
- Quest Objective and Time Limit (Yellow): Once the time limit reaches zero, the quest will fail. After that, the regional quest will be available again with a different reward.
- Regional Quest Reward Box (Blue): The possible rewards in the boxes are Equipment, Fortification, Upgrade Stones, crafting materials, etc.
- Experience and Gold Rewards (Green): The rewards may vary.
Token Redemption – Soul Crystal
The Monster Hunter NPC allows you to exchange your Soul Crystals for Reward Boxes, class-specific Appearances, or Dyes. You can find them in major cities all over the open world.
Figure 10: The Token Redemption: Monster Hunter NPC
Figure 11: Some items obtained at the Monster Hunter NPC